The Art of Negotiation 6
Oliver Miles highlights two important principles in property negotiation.
Some people are good at negotiating and hold all the aces. Some people, aren't and have a terrible hand of cards.
There are two important elements - prompted by ongoing political events - to think about when negotiating for your next home.
Firstly it is very important that your partner, if you have one, and all the other members of your family who are actively involved in the moving project are fully behind you. It probably wouldn't be beneficial if 52 per cent of your family supported you and the other 48 per cent didn't. You could try to persuade the naysayers that it will be lovely to move to the isolated location you have chosen away from friends and family; that self-sufficiency will be great and they will soon get used to it. Some family members might disagree - they like living where they are too much.
Secondly, you should try and assess the abilities of the person/s with whom you will be negotiating. If they are affable, agreeable and flexible that is great. But there are the type of people who just don't care if they sell to you or not, who display a cynical, take-it-or-leave-it attitude, who meet with open contempt all your reasonable attempts to negotiate, and who hold out for an inflated price without any hint of being prepared to be flexible. You should be very sure that you want to buy from them because the price YOU pay will almost certainly be at a premium and include some inevitable loss of self-respect. The experience may lead to resentment and ill feelings. Sometimes it proves so difficult to deal with these stubborn types that the only course of action, is to walk away from trying to do any sort of deal. On the other hand, for some, moving away from their current home is infinitely better than remaining and even worth putting up with some loss of face. They may have outgrown their home, the neighbours may be driving them mad and their lives feel out of control. A new start could be the ideal solution and it might seem to them worth compromising on price.
But that's the thing with big decisions and negotiations. Not everyone thinks the same and the more the players are prepared to see both sides and concede to some degree the more chance there will be of a fair deal to suit both sides.
Negotiation is complicated, so if you don't want to get embroiled in all the frustrations of a purchase then hire a good estate agent. Just don't ask him or her to make everyone in your family happy about your move. That is still your job.